Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Be That As It May

Well, it's official. The swimsuit issue will be out in May of this year, instead of February.


MJ Day claims that the issue that's currently brewing is "sexy but also shatters perceptions while being an empowering celebration of our incredible models."

Which ~*sigh*~ sounds like they're still trying to make this simple, sweet girlie magazine into some kind of zeitgeist-tapping mission statement.

I don't want to join the backlash. But I also don't think it's a great fit, and I long for the days when it was just unequivocal photos of Elle, Kathy, Stephanie, Rebecca, Heidi, et al. — a handful of models looking cute in bikinis.

I guess it's the word "but" after the word "sexy" that gives me pause.

Well, it's Topless Tuesday. You may recall that the photo above, with the magazine cover swimsuit, is reportedly Nina Agdal. So let's take a look at topless Nina through the years: one pic from each of her appearances in the swimsuit issue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still hate this May thing. I know the date shouldn't matter, but winter has worked since 1964.

I don't rage like some people on the interwebs, but I do miss the swimsuit issue just being a swimsuit issue. At the risk of sounding like a neanderthal, not everything needs to have a message. I wish they worried more about creating iconic pictures that took advantage of their locations than making the world a better place, not that they have to be mutually exclusive. I don't even care so much that they have larger models these days, I'm just tired of them saying how great they are for having these larger models. And I wish they'd stop doing model searches where the winner/s don't look like models.

Rant over. I'm still going to buy the damn thing lol.

Swimsuitologist said...

Yeah, I'm with you.

As long as they have a good core of superstars (for example, Barbara/Hailey/Lais/Vita from 2018 are rock-solid IMHO), I can deal with all the extracurriculars.

It will take more than this to keep me from counting down the days.