Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Two-Pièce de Résistance: Estelle Lefebure, 1993

Score another point for Team Shiny.

Photo: Paul Lange

There are two photos of Estelle I love equally, this gold one and the green one I featured here. I think this one is fun to contemplate from a composition standpoint.

I’ve shared some photos lately where the model is either enhanced by or contrasting with the background. This one is almost monochromatic. The photo is made up entirely of various shades of tan. Estelle stands out by dint of the shiny curves of her swimsuit and the soft smoothness of her skin, otherwise it’s a “polar bear in a snowstorm” joke come to life.

She stands statuesque in what we can imagine is a hostile, windswept environment where a beautiful girl pines in sexy anguish. She looks a bit like a damsel on the cover of a romance novel. You almost expect her to lay the back of her wrist against her forehead in melodramatic woe.

Anyway, that’s my fantasy about this shot. To others, it may simply be a swimsuit girl lounging near a beach just out of view. But it’s always seemed more dramatic to me.

Personal history: When I was in college, I had this page neatly sliced out of the magazine and hanging on a shelving unit in my dorm room. Well, unbeknownst to me, the dorm started replacing the shelving units in all the rooms, so one day I got home from class to find a new shelf above my desk, with this page gently removed and replaced upon it.

I always thought that was very considerate of the contractors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I've never understood about the Martha's Vineyard shoot is that the issue itself and even Getty Images today says the photographer was Enrico Ferorelli. Yet when you watch the video of the shoot - and the very first part of the Martha's Vineyard shoot in the video is this exact shot - shows that the photographer was Paul Lange. Looking at it again now I wonder if it was just a mistake since the accompanying article says the pictures were taken by Ferorelli and he ended up getting the credit for the swimsuits as well.

At least Lange was credited for his pics in the 1994 issue.

And yay for an Estelle posting.

Anonymous said...

I should've just researched more before posting. This was in the March 1, 1994 issue.

"Martha's Vineyard
Correction
In last week's issue we credited the wrong photographer for the six swimsuit pictures taken on Martha's Vineyard (pages 84-91). The credit should have gone to Paul Lange (left).—ED."

Swimsuitologist said...

Good catch. Fixed.

Anonymous said...

The best part of that video is when Paul Lange's constant talking and yelling and running around finally get on Estelle's nerves and she gets this very un-supermodel-like expression on her face and starts muttering to herself. Then Paul Lange nearly falls into the water and Estelle gets scared for him. 15-year-old me loved that.

You can watch it here starting at around the 45:45 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOsfbz_LmPM&t=2023s