Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One-Piece Wednesday: Paulina Porizkova, 1987

Another situation where I'm not sure of the year (UPDATE: 1987), but I seem to recall this image from one of the mid-80s wall calendars.Paulina captured my imagination more than most models. Something seemed dark and mysterious about her, and I recall reading an interview with her in which the writer was amazed that she ordered a cheeseburger or something. "Modeling sucks anyway," Paulina was quoted as saying. The fact that she could make her living by allowing people to stare at her body, and simultaneously be so dismissive about it, made her seem dangerous.

[EDIT: Ha! I found the interview, from a 1985 People. I remember now, it was my first exposure to the word "fatteningest."]

I also bought this 1986 issue of Life and hung the pics on my bedroom wall.There was one magnificent 2-page spread of her in a black-and-tan one-piece with an open midriff and crossover straps... Man, I wonder if I'll ever find that shot again...

UPDATE 1/29/12: Found it! It's even more beautiful than I remember.

No comments: