Friday, June 7, 2019

ROTY Revisited: 2016, 2017

2016: Who won?
Barbara Palvin.


Who should have won?
Barbara Palvin. I can’t argue with her at all. But if pressed for a runner-up, I’d pick Bo Krsmanovic, who does similar things to my heart and mind.


• • •

2017: Who won?
Bianca Balti.


Who should have won?
Lais Ribiero. This is one of the few where I have an ironclad correction for SI: Lais is one of the most gorgeous women to appear in SI this century.


Kelly Gale would have also been a magnificent choice, and I’m still bummed she was a one-and-done.


But yeah. Lais. All the way.


• • •

This was actually illuminating for me. I expected to have more instances of strong disagreement with SI's choices, but they were by and large pretty solid.

I also had this idea that ROTYs don't last for very many issues, but that's not necessarily true either. By my calculations, the average ROTY stint is about 4.2 years, whereas the entire rookie class during that nine-year period sticks around for about 2.3 years.

So, who's the Rookie of the Year for 2019? No idea!

No comments: