Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cris Urena’s Throwback to a Throwback

I was right that Cris was channeling Laetitia Casta’s throwback from 2000!
The magazine describes this as “inspired by the 1967 Rudi Gernreich suit.” Gernreich created the “monokini” in the early 60s. I think it was an exercise in avant-garde fashion art more than mere base titillation, which is why I feel comfortable publishing, uncensored, this famous shot of model Peggy Moffitt wearing it.
Because of art.

Even SI, in their 25th Anniversary issue, allowed a little nipple peek from Peggy.
(Incidentally, here’s Eva Herzigova sporting a suit that’s clearly inspired by the monokini, albeit strapless.)
I love how Cris looks in this. The hip-hugging nature of the suit caresses her beautifully. In fact, she puts those huggable hips to good use in a couple of her non-bodypainting shots as well.
SI is still trying to get these giant bikini bottoms to catch on.

I hope Cris is back next year. She’s gorgeous.

No comments: