Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Margin of Erin

Happy 26th birthday, Erin Heatherton. Enjoy your inaugural One-Piece Wednesday!


Erin’s fan base was in quite an uproar over her last-minute loss to Kelly over the weekend.

Are the votes rigged? I don’t know. I do know people love conspiracy theories.


I remember something from my Playboy subscription days: It was an open secret that Playmate of the Year voting was semi-rigged. Popular vote, as I understood, played a part. But Hef got to handpick his favorite centerfold, and if that overrode the voting results, so be it.

(Of course, now that I think of it, what’s the difference between “semi-rigged” and just plain “rigged”?)


I guess there are business reasons they’d rig the SI vote. One model is more bankable, or her agent has some back-alley deal in place. But if it’s fake, I do wonder why SI would allow three of the seven models to get 4% or under. Four of them to get 8% or under. If they’re padding Kelly’s numbers to win, can’t they pad the other girls’ numbers to break 10%?


Like I’ve said, I don’t care. But people on the internet become hysterical super-sleuths at the drop of a hat.


I don’t remember seeing any disclaimer that guaranteed that the vote will be properly tallied and duly respected. SI promised us only a free opportunity to click on a picture of a pretty girl as much as we wanted.


Incidentally, and it bums me out to say it, Victoria’s Secret did a better job capturing Erin. She looks fantastic in her lingerie shots.


I can't put my finger on why. But I wish SI had been able to harness her better. I felt like the photos across the board were lacking this year, sadly. Which is unfortunate, because I thought last year, 2014, was a great collection.

No comments: